Monday 23 July 2007

So tell me, what did you think about the packed lunch you took to school today?

Further to Kate's posting about book critics who criticise JK Rowling for not being a literary genius (it's a book about a freakin' wizard, for crying out loud) I would like to have a whinge about media outlets that ask 12-year-olds what they thought of the book.

Maybe there is no common ground here, I don't know, but having a couple of pre-pubescent children on the Today Show this morning really seemed pointless.
I also note with interest the fact that the main kid had the same last name as the entertainment 'reporter' who works for the same show. And the same bad hairstyle also, which is a little too coincidental for my liking.

I know that having kids on a program or in the paper covers the whole 'cutesy' factor that so many papers and shows like to incorporate, but really, it's a bit of overkill.
My disclaimer is that all this whinging is coming from someone who has *whispers* never actually read any Harry Potter...
Now watch me duck and run for cover.

4 comments:

my name is kate said...

I loathe children so, you know, I agree. If you ever want to get into them I've got most of them lying around somewhere and they're well worth the read if you're into that sort of thing.

Dave said...

Awesome. I think I will take you up on that offer. As soon as I've finished the seven other books I'm meant to be reading right now...

Lindsay said...

I can say with pride that I did not have one pic taken of the little fuckers lining up for the new book. Not one.

Dave said...

Nice work.