Tuesday 24 July 2007

Monday night viewing

With all the crap that's on TV, it's good to sit home on a Monday night and watch the ABC.
Having Today Tonight on while I cooked my dinner, as usual, made me wonder about the state of our society.
But then I flicked over to ABC and went through an emotional rollercoaster of television.
Starting off with an Australian Story episode on Belinda Emmett, I watched some heart-wrenching footage of interviews with Rove and Belinda's family. This was interspersed with segments of a video diary she had recorded during her battle with cancer.
Now I know Australian Story is designed to tug on the heartstrings but this episode really got me. It's good to remember that these people in the celebrity spotlight are just that - people.

After Australian Story I watched a show that always restores my faith in good journalism - Four Corners. The episode was a particularly heavy story on drug addicted or former drug addicted parents fighting to keep their children. The journalist who put that story together deserves an award.

And finally I watched Phil Jamieson, Grinspoon's lead singer, come completely clean on Andrew Denton's Enough Rope.
It was a candid interview, as it always is with Denton, and some of the responses given by Phil and his wife again hammered home that point - celebrities are just human beings. Flawed, imperfect, human beings.

I went to bed emotionally drained but at the same time a little richer and wiser for having watched the ABC rather than 1 vs 100...

No comments: