Friday 27 July 2007

The Fratellis - Costello Music


What a fantastic album.
Another great Brit-pop (well, technically Scot-pop but it all sounds the same) release for 2007.
The Fratellis manage to combine that loveable Arctic Monkeys-style of new age rock along with some ballads and lyrical gems that make for what is essentially a happy album.
My favourite track - one that I have tried and failed to stop playing over and over again - is Whistle for the Choir.
A fantastic ballad about a girl who is "irresistable" despite obvious problems she has with her self-image and sanity: "So if you're crazy, I don't care you amaze me. You're a stupid girl, oh me, oh my, you talk, I die, you smile, you laugh, I cry and only a girl like you could be lonely." And the song even has a whistle solo - brilliant!
I absolutely love this album. It is an irresistably feel good first-time effort from a band who, by all accounts and purposes, have a cracking live show to go along with.
Four stars.

3 comments:

my name is kate said...

Yeah I love these guys - just listening to 'Henrietta' (not sure if it's off the album as I downloaded it) puts me in a good mood - that chorus kicks much arse.

Strangely I never realised we had such similar music taste (i'm choosing to forget Linkin Park incident and you'd do well to do the same) until you blundered up to me at my par-tee and drunkenly shouted said "Modest Mouse!" at me...

Dave said...

hehehe. Sorry, Linkin who?

my name is kate said...

That's better...