Thursday 5 July 2007

An open letter to all the people who contribute sport to my paper...

Firstly, thank you for your contributions - they are always handy in filling space and saving us the time of actually going to these community sporting events.
However I wish to offer you a few guidelines for dealing with the paper.

1. We are not a community bulletin board. Just because you send something in, please don't expect it to be printed without following it up.

2. If you send me in two awful pics of two different groups of kids from the same club, and I am good natured enough to lower the standards of the paper in order to print one of them, DON'T ring me up and ask why they weren't both printed.

3. The only people that care about your articles are those mentioned in them. Remember that.

4. Don't promise anyone that an article is going to appear in the paper. We don't. Particularly not if you haven't bothered to contact anyone at the paper to see if they actually received it.

5. I am doing you a favour. I don't sit around every week waiting for your pearls of wisdom about the local junior hockey club's 4-point loss to another equally unexciting club.

6. If you are going to nominate someone to write the sports report for your club, please make sure that person has a basic grasp of grammar. It makes my job easier and makes me more willing to put it in the paper. On that note, dot points and three different font styles in the one write-up do not a good article make.

Thank you. I look forward to working with you in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

..And.. don't send a crappy half-arsed piece of nonsene entitled.."for publication in your next edition". It's a red flag to a bull...

L x