Tuesday 10 July 2007

Memo to my friend who just got back with his girlfriend after breaking up with her - for the fifth time.

Mate,
A couple of things. Firstly, breaking up with someone then getting back together with them is not unheard of. In fact, in certain circumstances it's totally okay. However there's a few points I'd like to raise with you.

1. If you've only been with someone for a year, five break-ups is over the top. Give it up.

2. Relationship counselling is for people who are married/with kids/in long, long term de facto relationships - not people who have been going out for a year and broken up five times. You're wasting your time and your money.

3. Stop blaming yourself for past relationship failures. You'll never move on otherwise.

4. She's not a nice person anyway. In the two social situations in which I have been around her, she has cried. Both times. Because she thought I was having a go. The truth is, I wasn't. Someone with that mcuch personal baggage and insecurity is not a good partner.

5. You told me the other night that if someone on the street had walked up to you and said the sort of things she says to you sometimes, that you would be justified in punching them. Think about that. I have never had a girlfriend that has said things like that to me. Think about it long and hard.

6. What happens when you break up for the sixth time? Gonna give it another go?

7. Have a bit of self-respect.

That's all. I'm only saying this because you're a friend of mine, and friends should be brutally honest. You're a nice guy and would have no problem finding yourself another girl who would treat you like a human being. Think about it.

4 comments:

my name is kate said...

Oh serial break-uppers are the worst. Every time they break up you think you can finally tell your friend what you think of their ex... but you can't because they'll be back together in a week.

Dave said...

The funny thing is, every time they've broken up I have told him what I think of her. And when they get back together, he just neeever mentions it....

Lindsay said...

Harsh but fair, I feel. Where were you when I needed you the last time???

Dave said...

haha well you know where to find me for future reference...