Monday 9 July 2007

Don't preach to me

So I'm at a going away party for my friend on Saturday night, and all is going well.

We've had speeches, present-giving and lots of drinking. Anyway, it gets to about 2am and everyone's sitting around and chatting, as you do.
There's one guy there who I know quite well from the circle of friends who attend such parties, and the discussion turns a little philosphical - you know, life and all its intricacies - and to my utter disbelief, he starts espousing the benefits of some cult/self-help group called Landmark.

Now, I haven't heard much about what Landmark is actually about. I have a friend who got involved in it once, and he got extremely sick and run down because they expected him to work long hours over a series of weeks without pay or breaks.
He quit because it was too much for him. Perhaps it's because I'm a cynical journo, but I can't shake the feeling that Landmark is one of those groups that target people who are unsure of themselves in life and vulnerable at the time.
Regardless of what it is, 2am on a Sunday morning at a party full of friends is no place to start preaching.
Seriously, what this guy said could have been written as a script for one of thhose self-help infomercials. He even gave the "I wasn't too sure about Landmark at first, but I found out it was completely different to what I expected" line! I could not believe it.
The funny thing was, he credited Landmark for helping him quit smoking. He was quite self-righteous about the fact that he had quit smoking..... only to have a cigarette in his hand at the end of the night.
Hmm.....

No comments: