Thursday 12 July 2007

Razorlight - Razorlight


This sophomore release from British band Razorlight is, in a word, brilliant.
Their debut release, Up All Night, received critical acclaim but for me, it was a so-so album. There were a couple of good songs but the album as a whole seemed to miss the mark a little.
This release, however, is something different.
After putting it in my CD player for the first time, I was instantly hooked.
It's a brilliant Brit-pop effort and a great singalong album.
Razorlight dabbles in a range of genres, with shades of Modest Mouse and Doves as well as one song with vocals that sound distinctly reggae-based.
The lyrics are simple yet effective, with frontman Johhny Borrell espousing the pros and cons of having a big night out, trouble in the US as well as the usual diatribes on life and love.
My favourite line comes from Track Two, Who Needs Love, in which we see the protagonist throw his hands in the air in despair: "Ooh ooh darling, who needs love? Who needs a heaven up above? Who needs the disappointment of a telephone call? Not I."
I love it.
Four and a half stars.

11 comments:

my name is kate said...

Yar they're fab. I liked their first album a lot too, though - it's the sort of thing that improves with more listening I think. Johnny whatshisface was part of The Libertines, briefly, I believe.

my name is kate said...

Yar they're fab. I liked their first album a lot too, though - it's the sort of thing that improves with more listening I think. Johnny whatshisface was part of The Libertines, briefly, I believe.

Dave said...

there you go...

Lindsay said...

I likes them heaps. Feel free to burn the albumn for me at any time. Ahem.

Dave said...

will do

my name is kate said...

twice even *ahem*

Dave said...

roger roger

my name is kate said...

Thanks again - I'm going home imminently with the express intention of listening to it.

Anonymous said...

Johnsy, Razorlight rock, you rock. 'Nuff said. xx

x

Anonymous said...

That last comment was me BTW

Linz x

Dave said...

hehe