Monday 16 July 2007

Grammar Terrorism, sports style

I watched Fremantle's devastating loss to North Melbourne yesterday.
However it wasn't the fact that they came so close only to lose that got to me.
It was the awful grammar of one of the commentators.

Now I understand most footy commentators are ex-players and coaches, but as soon as you put a microphone or camera in front of them they are obliged to learn the English language.
So quotes such as "both teams have come out quite physical from the start" are unacceptable.
Physical is an adjective. You used it as an adverb. You can't just do that to the English language whenever you like.

Luckily for you, I didn't catch your name, so I won't add you to the list but be warned - next time, I will be watching....

3 comments:

Bolton said...

Also, even if you use it correctly (physically), grammatically it is quite incorrect.
I mean what does "Both teams came out quite physically from the start" mean?
It means nothing. It is a non-sentence.

Dave said...

Exactly.

shiny said...

This is a sport you're referring to. Not something that requires literacy or the ability to think and talk at the same time.

Plus it was a Dockers game. As a supporter I have noticed in the games that I watch that the commentators are all generally hung over. And stupid.