Monday 30 July 2007

More than meets the eye

I saw the Transformers movie yesterday and, despite Kate's cynicism about the movie, as a boy who grew up playing with little Transformer figrurines I enjoyed it immensely.
It was a rip-roaring ride down memory lane for me, and the graphics, particularly during thr transformer fighting scenes, were unbelievable.

However I do think Kate raised a few valid points in her criticism of the movie. The hot-chick-who-knows-cars character was pretty weak, and the one or two scenes that related to the romantic connection between the two characters were, quite frankly, awful.

Which got me thinking, why put corny romance scenes in films still? I know it's a Hollywood blockbuster, and we should all expect that sort of thing, but surely by now there are ways of making those sorts of scenes a little more moving and a little less revolting.

Perhaps film producers could start by canning the over the top opera music that queues up for such a scene. I reckon that would be enough to do it.

I also found the thinly-veiled "our troops in the Middle East are doing a good job" message a little sickening. But maybe that's just my political bias. Other than that, the film was a perfect Hollywood blockbuster. I even felt for the transformers when one of them died - how's that for character development...?

4 comments:

my name is kate said...

I too was well into Transformers and the lesser known (though in opinion better) Mask Transformers, which I used to filch from my brother's room but yeah I did have my reservations about the movie.

Like you the whole 'gosh our army troops are really just good guys trying to do the right thing and wow they're totally 'multicultural' too so what do you mean we're kinda racist?' thing rubbed me raw.

Meanwhile the 'romance' such as it was gave me the mild desire for dry heaves and that's about it. I don't see how films can still peddle the story of the hot girl who goes out with a boof head but is actually smart herself and falls for the nerd/dork/outsider story any more without the movie's writers falling into a coma in the process...

Also Optimus Prime didn't get enough screen time damnit. He was awesome in the old cartoons.

Dave said...

I know, the little Middle Eastern boy who brought the troops water and gave them access to a telephone at a crucial moment... spew.

my name is kate said...

Then again GMEB (Generic Middle Eastern Boy) had more acting chops than IGWCLI (Improbably Good with Cars Love Interest).

Dave said...

True. But he didn't have boobs. And make-up that stayed on despite being involved in an urban streetfight with alien robots.