Thursday 5 July 2007

I'm sorry, but you're wrong.

Nothing irks me more than people who make outlandish claims about the state of our society with little or no factual evidence or education in the area to back it up.
Worse still, some people like to back up said opinions with "I saw it on Today Tonight."

So I walk out the back into the kitchen at work today, where our part-time courier (read idiotic moron who knows fuck all but never listens to reason on the odd occasion you do choose to respond to one of his comments) tells me: "You know what chefs are doing these days? Spitting in food, urinating in it, you should never complain about food at a restaurant because if you do, that's what will happen to you." Sensing a blow up, I asked if he'd seen this on Today Tonight or A Current Affair. Bingo.

So I try to explain to him that you shouldn't represent something seen on one of those shows as fact, but he doesn't listen.

THEN he tells me the boom is going to end soon because - wait for it - in 10 to 15 years Africa will be developed and China and India will buy their resources from there instead of Australia.

Another argument he gives me is that, "you know, with MacQuarie and Fairfax buying up these media outlets, remember what happened when Alan Bond started buying up? Everything went bust." Now, I assume he's referring to the recession that we had to have, but try explaining to him that WA is a slightly (read extremely) different state to the one Bondie tried to conquer 20 years ago and he just doesn't listen.

AND FINALLY, he made some comment about capitalism. He said "You know what the main problem with capitalism is?" (picture me at this point rolling my eyes as hard as possible into the back of my head while I wait for the latest pearl of wisdom) "It only works as long as everyone's spending money. Once they stop, it'll all go ass-up."
I'm sorry, what??? Capitalism will go ass-up when people stop spending money?? When exactly is that going to happen??? And how??? It was at this point that I admitted defeat and just nodded to what he said. I can't be bothered arguing with someone who actually won't listen.

As a friend of mine said to me once, never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

3 comments:

shiny said...

I know who you're talking about. And you know how I avoided needing to kill people? When he walked into room I walked out. Works a treat on him, small children and animals that are tied to something.

Anonymous said...

TV makes me more stupider. Case in point.

L x

Anonymous said...

Macquarie doesn't have a capital q Dave. seriously.