Wednesday 28 May 2008

I won't be crying into my weetbix over this one

This just in - Australian Olympic hopeful Nick D'Arcy has pretty much had his last chance of swimming for Australia in Beijing denied.
Good.
I try not to be the vindictive type, but the time has come where we stop idolising our sports stars to the degree where they get off with little or no punishment for doing stupid things like abusing drugs or assaulting people.
Seriously, this guy D'Arcy - allegedly, he hasn't been convicted yet - punched a teammate of his so hard in the face that he busted the guy's mouth. He was charged with grievous bodily harm - this is not just common assault we're talking about, people.

The worst part was that he did it only hours after qualifying for the Olympics.

Now, I don't know about you, but if I had just qualified for the Olympics, I would be on such a natural high that there would be very little anyone would be able to say or do to make me want to throw a punch at them.
Suffer the consequences D'Arcy - maybe next time you won't resort to being such a thug.

6 comments:

my name is kate said...

I hate to disagree with you Johnsy buuut... I disagree.

In y view the guy hasn't been convicted but he's still being punished. Which seems overly harsh. Obviously violence is fucked and there's no excuse for fisticuffs but if an ordinary person off the street thumped someone he or she would go through the usual legal process, wind up getting whatever was coming to them, have to deal with the shame etc. Whether they're considered to be role models or not my view is that sports stars should be treated the same. But this dude has basically been exposed as a thug to the entire country AND had his dream crushed, all without being convicted (arguably yet). I'm by no means a fan of thuggery but I kinda feel sorry for the guy.

Dave said...

Fair call. I think sometimes we forget the whole 'innocent until proven guilty' tenet of the justice system...

shiny said...

As far as I'm aware he signed an agreement that held him to certain standards of behaviour. Since no-one is claiming he wasn't there, drunk and somehow involved in the incident (but that he didn't assault the former Olympian) surely he neglected to uphold that standard of behaviour and hence does not deserve to be on the team.

Let me know if any of these facts are wrong.

Plus, he's a douchebag. Anyone who claims to be at the top of the elite athelete profession who goes out and gets smashed and into a fight immediately after a big win needs some serious thought on their professionalism and dedication.

Jessica said...

What the heck is weetbix????

Dave said...

hahaha
it's an Aussie breakfast cereal -
think small bricks of compacted wheat. god that sounds horrible describing it but it's something we all grew up with...

Anonymous said...

was it alcohol fuled violence? perhaps he was binging on alcohopops?