Friday 2 May 2008

But... what do you want me to do about it?

In most jobs, if people aren't getting the required job done, there's a process. Usually that involves counselling, followed by workshopping and a whole bunch of other workplace cliches.

At our paper, we are having a few distribution problems.
Heck, that's nothing new. Anyone who has ever worked at any paper can talk to you about distribution problems.

But I have come to realise our problem lies within.
You see, we are one of the only papers in the company to have our own distribution manager. Its a pretty large area so I'm sure that's what the job requires.
But this person has been in the same role all their life. Literally. They are in their 30s and they have never. held. another. job.
Let me repeat that again. In their 30s, never held another job.

I don't know what you think about that, but for me, that's just not healthy.
But it's frustrating because in today's litigious world most bosses are too frightened to fire anyone - even if they do deserve it.

Which led me to my next thought - what are this person's (workplace cliche alert) key performance indicators? Surely if the papers aren't getting delivered properly, they're not doing their job properly.
Simple, yes?

Apparently not.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Well there you go, using common sense again....