Wednesday 7 May 2008

Faker - Be The Twilight

Okay, so this isn't exactly a new album - it came out in February - but I've had trouble taking it out of my CD player long enough to do the review on it since I bought it.

I should put this review in a bit of context - I loved Faker's first album Addicted Romantic. It was dark and broody yet packed full of power pop rock.

So Be The Twilight was pretty much a perfect follow up.

Kicking off with the hit single This Heart Attack, the CD is pretty much the perfect Aussie pop rock album.

Are You Magnetic?, the band's latest charts offering, is a great little ditty about life and it's intricacies: "Are you magnetic?/Do you land in the right place?"

However, it's after the first two singles that the album really shines.

Killer on the Loose is laden with groovy bass and drums while the soaring melodic guitar riffs round out the track.

In general, the album shows a more mature Faker (great rock and roll cliche number one).

The Robert Smith-style twang of the lead singer's voice has been reduced a little in this latest offering - which can't be a bad thing.

There's even a slower, ballad-style song reminiscent of Crowded House (Kid, Pleas Try Harder).

But by far the standout track on the album is Dumb Mistakes - a brilliant narative on the - you guessed it - dumb mistakes we all make when falling for one another: "If we joke and we continue to talk like this/I'm scared we might be making the same dumb mistakes/I want you/and your same dumb mistakes I want/your same dumb mistakes I want."

Love it.
Four stars.

No comments: