Wednesday 24 October 2007

What competition?

Most of us who work for media outlets go up against competitors from other media outlets.
In Rockingham, we have the Sound Telegraph - a West Regional newspaper - as our "competition."
However their choice of front page stories week in, week out, amazes me.
I know I'm biased because I work for the opposition, but take this week's edition for example - we're in the middle of a Federal election AND we had local government elections this weekend.
You'd think there'd be plenty of highly newsworthy material for the front page.
But no - the paper has chosen to put on it's front page a pic story about three kids who are going around to schools teaching helmet safety when riding bikes.
Now don't get me wrong - it's a great community story - but is it really, in the current context, appropriate for the front page??

4 comments:

Jessica said...

What asshats! Bike helmets gets higher billing than elections? That's messed up.

Dave said...

You're telling me...
Asshats! hehe I love it! I'm going to have to use that one...

Bolton said...

i assume that was the pic story dave and there was a separate lead. please tell me that. please.

Dave said...

Unfortunately I can't reassure you there Dan. That was the only story on the front page. Although it did come with a slightly blurry photo :)