Thursday 11 October 2007

Catholics are fucked.

I should start this post with a disclaimer that I was born and raised Catholic.
Obviously I subscribe to very few tenets of the Catholic religion these days - but two newpaper articles today really irked me.
The first, the front page story on today's West, has Catholic Archibishop George Pels saying that Catholic people who use contraception or birth control are subscribing to a "Donald Duck heresy." Whatever that is.
Good work George - let's hope the Catholics living in Africa don't take too much notice - the AIDS problems on that continent don't really need any encouragement.
And another article told of a Catholic priest in a South American country who was jailed for life forbeing an accessory to murder, torture and general human rights abuses.
Basically the guy took confession from people who were trying to overthrow a dictatorial government and then passed on the information to the police, knowing full well they would torture and eventually murder them.

Seriously, some people talk about Islam being archaic but Catholicism is just as bad.
The world today is slightly different from the world we lived in 2000 years ago, people.
Time to update some of your beliefs.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I think that not just Catholics, but most who regularly attend church on Sundays are not neccessarily Christians or whatever their faiths are. I believe true believers are those who worship privately and live their faiths. - Dave

my name is kate said...

Tell me about it. I, too, was raised Catholic but god the church is fucked. Maybe when they start trying to help people instead of bang on about condom conspiracy or whathaveyou I'll rediscover faith. Though probably not.

Jessica said...

My friend and I call ourselves "recovering Catholics."
Organized religion produces icky hags like Ann Coulter!