Monday 8 October 2007

Perth has a one-track mind

Perth is freeway-centric.

We had a train line shut-down in Perth today. In order to connect a fifth train line to our existing four (that's right, we have all of four train lines - puts living in Perth into perspective doesn't it) they had to shut down part of one line and all of the Perth to Fremantle line.

I live in Fremantle and had to work in town today.

So rather than catch the train in I drove.

I thought I'd leave early to avoid traffic jams, and drove up the coast road rather than taking the Freeway - and I had a completely stress-free run.
Meanwhile, there is reported chaos on the freeway.
The thing is, most of the people who would catch the Fremantle train to work normally would, I'd assume, live somewhere nearby the rail line.
So if the rail line's down, why go out of your way to drive up the freeway, which is already congested every morning?
I think people here in Perth seem to think that the freeway is the best way to go to get anywhere, mainly because the speed limit's 100km/h.
I guess the moral of the story is that the faster you go doesn't necessarily equate to arriving at your destination first.

No comments: