Friday 19 October 2007

Bogan Learning Curve

I've blogged before about bands, singers etc making political statements.
It's something we see more and more of today, which I think reflects on the state of the world to some extent.
In my blog, I wrote of my cynicism towards bands and celebrities who appeared to be jumping on a proverbial bandwagon in regards to bagging Bush and American foreign policy.
However now I think that viewpoint is a little too cynical, if not arrogant.
Who am I to say who can and can't make political statements?
At the end of the day, I should be grateful that there are commercial acts out there who share my viewpoint.
After all, we're all pushing for the same thing, aren't we?

I make my comments after seeing Linkin Park in concert last night.
(I know, I should be ashamed, but it was seriously awesome.)
Anyway a few songs off their latest album were blatantly critical of the Bush administration, with regards to the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina.
Images of the war, the devastation after the hurricane and famous images from Hitler to Saddam Hussein to Martin Luther King were splashed across the screen on stage.
And yes, at first I was skeptical.
However I looked around me and thought that if the bogans around me took in some of the message, that couldn't be a bad thing.

1 comment:

shiny said...

I get so annoyed when people get all upset about bands making political statements.Get over it. Midnight Oil made political statements, so did John Lennon. Not everyone will agree or necessarily find their comments convincing but, so what? No-one needs permission from us to speak.