Thursday 11 October 2007

An open letter to the councillor who wastes my time, week in, week out.

Dear Madame,
You're a councillor. I'm a journalist. Granted, we're not always going to see eye to eye.
However I feel there are a few things I need to raise with you.
Firstly, it is not cool to call me on my mobile at 9pm. Ever. Unless someone dies a particularly horrific death for which you are responsible.
Secondly, do your research. If you actually read your agenda PROPERLY, you wouldn't ask most of the stupid, pointless, time-wasting questions that you do.
Oh, and asking those questions does not make you a) particularly diligent or b) look good to anyone who is watching.
You'll probably try and tell me that you're just trying to make the council look "open and accountable."
Well, you're not.
The only thing you're opening is yourself up to valid criticism.
And finally, you made last night's meeting 40 minutes longer than it had to be.
Expect an invoice coming your way sometime soon.
I think it only fair that you pay my wages for that 40 minutes plus compensation for that section of my life that I will never get back.

I look forward to receiving payment as promptly as you like to shoot your mouth off without thinking.
Sincerely,
Dave

No comments: