Monday 21 May 2007

Weekend wrap - brought to you by...

Warning: rant ahead.

What a weekend. I cleared Saturday and Sunday for what I thought would be a weekend of sporting glory - an FA Cup win by Manchester United and an Eagles win at Subiaco the next day.... Unfortunately this was not to be.
I won't expand on the FA Cup other than to say I am obviously devastated and we were robbed.
As far as going to the Eagles game, well, don't get me wrong, the result was great, but the 77 point flogging of Melbourne did get a bit repetitive at time and doesn't say much for Melbourne's competitive spirit.
However that's not to say there wasn't plenty of competition at Subiaco Oval.
The firecest competition on the day was that of the advertisers.
Now, I like to get along to see a footy game once or twice a year if I get the chance.
However next time I think I'll be better staying at home.
I know advertising means money and money makes the world go round etc but exactly when did the AFL start running full ad breaks at the ground during a footy match???

At the end of every quarter, the two big screens immediately kicked into a series of ads - in full, stadium surround sound - that screened back to back until the siren started again. No replays, no highlights from the quarter, just ads for hair salons, restaurants and insurance. And because of the sound system I was bombarded with the offensive sounds.

It pissed me off after an already rough weekend - mind you I did get a free ticket so by rights I can't really get annoyed about a couple of little ads on the screen.
It was the "The West Australian Online" sponsored replays that really got to me but...
As if we're not paying enough for food and drinks at these games already, without being aggressively assaulted by advertisers.

No comments: