Monday 7 May 2007

Cutting comments

Going to get my hair cut is never a big deal - after all, I am a guy, which means I don't have to spend hundreds of dollars nor sit in the salon for hours while my hair gets done. (Apologies for that gross generalisation.)
The guy I usually go to, I go to because he's cool. He does his best to remember regular customers and I actually enjoy making conversation with him. This coming from someone who, nine times out of ten, is more than happy to just sit in the chair and get his hair cut in silence rather than making forced conversation.
However, this guy is in subi, and i live in Freo, and the other day I needed to get my hair cut quickly and cheaply.
So I went to Norm's in Freo. It's an institution of sorts, I used to go there as a child and get my hair cut by Norm or one of the other middle-aged Italian barbers there - it was always a great atmosphere, I always got a lolly on my way out, and tried to sneek peaks at the naughty magazine pile while my dad was getting his hair cut.
However, times have changed.
The place has now been overrun by emo hairdressers. That's right, emo hairdressers.
The girl that cut my hair didn't even attempt to make conversation. She didn't cut it as short as I normally have it cut, but by the time she'd done that much I wanted to get out of there soo badly I just said "Thanks. Looks great!" In my least convincing voice.
She didn't give a shit.
A small part of me was grateful because, quite frankly, I didn't want to make conversation with her.
But it got me thinking, where did basic customer service skills go?
There wasn't even a "How was your day?"
I won't be going back there any time soon.
Not until I turn emo, anyway.

4 comments:

shiny said...

did you still get a lolly on the way out? Isn't it mean they don't give you anything like that when you're an adult? You have to forgo the bouncy castle for the rest of your life and you don't even get a stinking jellybean at the doctors surgery!

Dave said...

Absolutely. And no, there was no lolly. I know what you mean but - I was invited to jump on a trampoline the other day (it was a party, we were drunk) but wisely, I said no. I took one look at that flimsy material and knew I would go straight through it if I gained any momentum.

my name is kate said...

Tell me where you went for your haircut. I would kill for a hairdresser who ignores me...

Dave said...

Norm's. It's a barber shop in Freo. I wouldn't recommend it if you're not a guy. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it at all.