Wednesday 9 May 2007

Open Offices Part II

I whinged the other day about the cons of open offices, with a particular co-worker pouring his life story out to a counsellor in full earshot of everyone in the office - well he's back and in fine form.
Today it was to a police officer.
I heard all about some guy against whom he was trying to take out a VRO, and how this guy had come round to his caravan and threatened to firebomb the place and beat the crap out of him and blah blah blah.
My editor, in true no-nonsense style, pretty much told him to go home after he got off the phone.
Seriously though, it's beyond a joke. Is it just me?
I would be sooo embarrassed if I made a phone call like that in full earshot of the office. I walk outside when friends call me on my phone, regardless of who they are or what they're calling for.
It's just common decency. Right?

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I know who you're talking about and man do I sympathise. After months of listening to him ramble on about his ex-wife's suicide attempt, his redundancy, his novel and trying to pick up middle-aged women on the phone, we were about ready to commit a felony of the highest order. There are phone lines for people like him. He shouldn't feel the need to inflict it on everyone around him. Sheesh.

Dave said...

I'd feel sorry for him if I didn't get the overwhelming feeling that a lot of it he's brought on himself. And he's a shit journo. Ouch.