Tuesday 29 May 2007

A cough, sniff and a sneeze

I have spent the last few days under attack from a particularly nasty cold - which, I have to say, is partly my fault.
I came down with it during the day on Friday and, in the spirit of someone who refuses to come to terms with the fact that they turn 24 this Thursday (I know it's not old, but it's the oldest I've ever been!) I went out and had an absoute bender on Friday night. I thought I could drink and smoke the cold into oblivion. I've done it before and it worked. Kinda. It didn't this time.

So anyway, having called in sick to work yesterday I went to the video store to hire out a stack of dvds.
I ended up watching four movies yesterday.

Shaun of the Dead - Seen it before, would see it again, great film.

A Clockwork Orange - Had read the book but not seen the movie. While reading the book was more rewarding than watching the movie, at the same time the movie was visually stunning and powerful - though bordered on extremely self-indulgent at times, typical Stanley Kubrick.

Miami Vice - I KNOW I should know better but I thought it would be a fun, fast, cool action flick. I was all wrong. It was so awful I couldn't even watch the last fifteen minutes. I want those two hours of my life back.

Sin City - A brilliant movie with fantastic characters and a stunning Gotham City-style backdrop. I loved it.

I'd forgotten how nice it was to have a sick day and do nothing - even if you do have to suffer to get the day off. Oh how I miss being a uni student and having weekdays where I didn't have to do anything...

3 comments:

my name is kate said...

Miami Vice really was the pits wasn’t it? I didn’t make it to the end either. Shite. Shaun of the Dead and Sin City are both favourites of recent years. I fell in love with Clive Owen all over again in the later and the former is one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in ages.

Dave said...

I know. I'm starting to think Clive Owen actually is a good actor. He was great in Closer, but his no-dimensional performance in King Arthur really made me believe he was shite for a while there...

my name is kate said...

Hey he just turned up to KA to collect his pay cheque - he NEEDED that extra storey on his house I tells you. He was really great in 'Croupier' too.