Thursday 31 May 2007

On this day 24 years ago...

Today is my 24th birthday.
I have learnt, as I get older, that birthdays are sometimes less celebrated the older you get.
This year, for example, it crept up on me.
There was little fanfare leading up to the big day, unlike my childhood years when birthdays and parties would be planned months in advance (I fondly recall my sixth birthday party which I had at Hungry Jacks).
Because of all this I assumed my birthday would also be a non-event however as it turns out it's been fantastic so far.

Getting a birthday card from all my journo friends at Community Newspapers was a really nice and unexpected surprise, my girlfriend brought presents from her and her parents so I could open them when I woke up in the morning AND she baked me a cake to take into work (sometimes I'm very spoiled).
In all, my birthday has turned out to be extremely promising - with a long weekend coming up and a range of social activities to attend I'm looking at stretching my birthday into a birthday fortnight.
And I am LOVING being 24.
People tell me this time of my life is a great time and I have to wholeheartedly agree.

I am wholeheartedly embracing my young adult years - I still feel like a teenager but being in my 20s means I am, for the most part, looked upon as an adult.

So here's to birthdays, friends and embracing your age!!
I'll drink to that :)

9 comments:

my name is kate said...

Happy Birthday Johnsy - don't believe the lies, I'm pretty sure it's all downhill from here. Oh but I'm 24 too so what do I know?

shiny said...

The only reason you're all so chirpy is because you're still closer to 20 than 30. Bastards.

shiny said...

oh, happy birthday johnsy!

Dave said...

hehe thanks!

Anonymous said...

Dave a very happy birthday to you! now shut the hell up and get back to work!

Dave said...

Thanks laurence. Nice work going anonymous. You knob.

Easytiger said...

DUDE! You're 24? You're a fricking BAIRN! Enjoy kiddo and have a good long weekend!

Get your friends to take you to HJs all over again - those paper crowns are SOOO hot right now

x

Aimee in Montreal

Dave said...

Hi and Happy 24th from me. Dave.

Anonymous said...

DAVE! cant access facebook from work - gay - but dont have ur email anymore :( eleanor@zoomit.com.au - i need the endless fwds you send to keep me entertained again! :p

btw - Happy Bday :) what was the cake? mmm i tried to make berties famous raspberry and white choc muffins and they just didn't taste as good... :(