Wednesday 13 June 2007

When all else fails...

I'm still getting over this little gem I found in the "In Brief" section of today's West....

SCI-FI BRAINS TACKLE AL-QAIDA
The West Australian, Wednesday June 13, 2007

Anti-terror chiefs in the US have hired a team of the country's most original sci-fi authors to dream up techniques to help them combat al-Qaida.
Ideas so far include mobile phones with chemical weapon detectors and brain scanners fitted to airport sniffer dogs so that security staff can read their minds.
The writers also have linked scientists with Hollywood special effects experts to work on better facial recognition software to detect terrorists at airports.


As far as I can tell, this is not a joke. I'm flabbergasted.

2 comments:

shiny said...

Ender's Game. What the news doesn't tell you is the "sci fi nuts" are 10 year olds.

Dave said...

There's a cheap shot in there about the 10-year-olds having a higher IQ than the 'anti-terror chiefs' -- but I won't say it.