Thursday 14 June 2007

Open letter to the service station attendant I met this morning...

Dear Attendant,
I understand you have a difficult job.
It must be tough standing behind that counter all day and putting up with shit people.
I commend your working in an independent petrol station and have no problem with your attitude or manner.
In fact I found you to be quite polite.
But if I come into the store and tell you that, for whatever reason, Pump Number 4 is not working, believe me - it's not working.
I know your job description doesn't leave much room for lateral or critical thinking, but asking me if I'd tried actually taking the pump out of its holder - that's just offensive.
Why on earth would you think I would stand there, look at the pump and decide it's not working without trying to use it???
I'm driving a car, so although I may not know the intricacies of how the how petrol system works, it is safe to assume I have put petrol in my car once or twice before.
I know your job is most likely extremely mind-numbing but please, don't assume I'm dumb.
I'm not the one working in a petrol station.
Yours Sincerely,
Johnsy

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

This is EXACTLY why i have put off putting air in my tyres myself. Cos I'm gonna have to ask for help / advice from HIM.

Dave said...

He's likely to ask you if you have tires on your car.