Tuesday 21 August 2007

South Side Story

Last week, by accident, I flicked over to a show on ABC called South Side Story.
Now, before I write anything else, I should put a disclaimer in. I am not - nor have I ever been - a fan of rugby. I have nothing against the game, I just grew up with different sports and never bothered to learn the rules.
However South Side Story, a doco-series about Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court's takeover of the NRL team South Sydney Rabbitohs, had me completely enthralled.
The series is narrated by legendary Aussie actor Jack Thompson and had me captivated from start to finish.
It basically tells the story of the takeover and how it was the last chance for the Rabbitohs, perennial bottom-ladder-dwellers who were kicked out of the league a few years ago but let back in after appeal.
It goes into quite a bit of detail on Crowe and Court's involvement in the club and how this was a do-or-die business venture for them.
With this in mind, I came across news today that the Rabbitohs have just reached the top 8 in the NRL for the first time since 1989. 1989!! What a story.
So whether you hate sport, rugby and Russell Crowe or not, watch South Side Story tonight on the ABC at 8pm. It is a rewarding piece of television.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

And sporting team with the word "rabbit" in its title needs all the help it can get.

Dave said...

True. What the fuck is a 'rabbitoh' anyway?? Who came up with that one??