Thursday 9 August 2007

Rockingham - the racist capital of WA

I was privy to a number of conversations today around the workplace regarding various races:

Aboriginal people

"I went to the supermarket the other day and you could smell them."

"It doesn't hurt to have a bit of Aboriginality in you these days, what with all the concessions they get."
"Yeah, I reckon that's discriminatory towards white people."

Indian people

"Indian people smell the worst - you can always smell curry whenever they're around."

Asian people

"Asian people are the worst because of all the spices and stuff they eat in their food."
followed by
"Yeah and they're always dirty too."


But what I love most is hearing those types of comments preceded by "I'm not racist/I don't have anything against 'them' but...."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God.

L x

Bolton said...

Jesus Christ. That is amazingly offensive.
Nearly as offensive as the fact their vote has an equal weighting to mine.
That's a disgrace.

Jessica said...

Dang that's messed up! The more I get to know people from other cultures the more prone I am to question typical Americans like me. Then again people probably think I like George Bush, drive an SUV and love McDonalds---none of which are true.

Dave said...

good to hear...