Tuesday 14 August 2007

Dr Doonothing

As some of you know, I live with my uncle in Freo.
On the weekend, he got a dog - which is great.
I'm a big fan of pets, be they cats, dogs, birds, whatever, and our dog is gorgeous.
She's a 3.5 year old staffy and she is one of the best trained dogs I have ever known.
Her name was You (yes, that's right, as in "Come here, You") but we decided that was pretty average so, in the interests of not changing her name too dramatically, decided to call her Lou.
But I have a small problem.
My uncle is one of those people that talks to animals. Now don't get me wrong, talking to animals is okay, telling them they're well behaved/not to do something etc is obviously necessary sometimes.
But having conversations with them?
Asking them if they want to go on a walk and then pretending they respond negatively??

A conversation this morning went like this:
(I'm sitting on the couch with the dog at my feet.)
Uncle: *In stupid dog voice (similar to stupid baby voice)* Hello, Dave, how are you today?
Me: *Silence*
Uncle: That's okay Lou, he obviously doesn't want to talk to you. See - she's waiting for an answer...
Me: No she's not Steve. I try to save my conversation skills for humans. Maybe you should do the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but pretending they respond to your questions is just, well, sad.

5 comments:

my name is kate said...

My cat Tikki disagrees. She also says that Lou is a douchebag, but I think she's just having a bad day.

my name is kate said...

Why does this blog entry insist on saying '0 comments'?

my name is kate said...

Ok so now it doesn't...

shiny said...

I think my parent's dog would disagree. But all he responds to is food and the opportunity to roll in gross stuff on the golf course.

Oh and when the question being asked of a dog is "do you want to go for a walk", the answer is always yes.

Dave said...

I know! As if a dog would say no to a walk...