Monday 31 December 2007

Oh My God, Oh My God

Last night I witnessed a piece of music history.
With special thanks to Thom for bringing the concert to my attention, last night I saw Vanilla Ice. Live. In Perth.
And it was so, so bad that it was good.
First, let me clarify the reason why I paid to go see Vanilla Ice - tickets were $42. I've paid more to see Australian bands than $42 so I think to have the opportunity to say you saw "Ice, Ice Baby" performed live - well, I'm sure you understand.

The night started badly. We got there at about 8.30pm, thinking that being a Sunday, the show might run a little earlier. We were wrong.
As a result, we had to endure two painstaking hours of (and I'm not exaggerating) the worst DJs I had ever heard. Not only were the songs they were playing awful, but the mixing was so atrocious it hurt my ears. We set a cut-off time for 10.30pm - if Vanilla Ice wasn't on by then we were leaving. He came on at 10.40 - and I was soooo glad I waited that extra ten minutes.

This is what he looks like these days - gone are the college jackets and the wavy fringe.
These days, Vanilla Ice is hardcore.

The second he walked onstage I knew I was in for something bad. The set was Halloween-themed, and I have to say, watching Vanilla Ice sing about smoking marijuana was pretty fucking scary.

I won't say too much more other than to give you a few details about the show:
  • He was onstage with a guy called DJ Dirty Chopstick.
  • His drummer was called Clint Eastwood.
  • He rapped in a gravelly, hardcore voice about, well, being hardcore.
  • One of his songs contained the lyric "I get crazy like prozac."
  • Another song contained the chorus "Oh My God, Oh My God."
  • Another song contained the chorus "Do you wanna hit on my joint? Hell Yeah! Do you wanna hit on my bong? Hell Yeah!" (Repeat times four)
  • He played Ice Ice Baby.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, made it all worth it.

I can now say I have seen Ice, Ice Baby performed live. Who would've thought?
Oh, and a special shout-out to the random couple I saw with my own eyes wearing - wait for it - matching white tracksuits.
Shudder.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

So the white boy played that funky music then??

Shoulda seen him on Surreal Life. If his castmates called him Vanilla Ice he went all gangsta on their ass.

Anonymous said...

It was a beautiful night all round really wasn't it.

I particularly liked the references to Iraq. Touching.

Dave said...

Yeah no shit - wrong crowd methinks...