Wednesday 12 December 2007

I'm not irritable, you're just pissing me off.

Quitting smoking, I have to say, is going better than expected. The first day or two was the worst, but now I'm on day three I actually feel like I can - and will - do this.

And I have to say, the realisation yesterday that I could actually do this was one of the most liberating feelings I'd had in a long time.


When you take a step like quitting smoking, telling people is probably one of the worst things you can do. I can count on one hand the number of people who responded positively without either laughing or not believing me when I told them (not including my blog readers who left very encouraging comments - thank you.)


At the same time, if you tell people you have to stick to it.


It doesn't make it easy, but what really gets me is when people assume I am going to be irritable or snappy.

It's a cop out.

Right now, I am not allowed to show any sign of irritability or frustration. If I do, it's "because I'm quitting."
As you may have guessed, the origin of this post was to bitch about my boss, who, after telling everyone how she's never been more stressed in her life than she is right now, grabs a major lead story from my area and writes it herself.
Not only that, but she cut and paste the press release and the reason she gave me for not passing it on to me was that "there's too much to do, we need the story and I thought you had enough to do already."
This was all after she rocked up to work 40 minutes late this morning. Nice.

Oh and to top it off, I lost my dog this morning. After waking up to find she had urinated on the couch, I growled at her and put her out the back. When I went to bring her inside, she saw me coming and freaked out, scrambling over a gate at least five times her height to run away.
She hasn't come back yet and my uncle and I have scoured the block looking for her. I'm concerned she won't at all.

BUT - and there is a but - I'm still not smoking. And that, in itself, is enough to make me incredibly happy. :)

4 comments:

shiny said...

Sounds like you have reasons to be irritable other than the nicotine withdrawal.

Don't worry about the dog. Either of them. Eventually they'll get tired and hungry and will go back where they belong.

my name is kate said...

Good work Johnsy, keep on trucking.

Dave said...

hehe thanks you too. Here's hoping observer

Jessica said...

It sounds like your dog is crabby from quitting too. Maybe the scamp enjoyed the smoky smell. Maybe she liked being a second hand smoker.

But don't start again! Smoking took my mom at too young an age. I'm sure she wished she had quit at your age.