Friday 7 December 2007

Nothing new here...

I know we've all blogged about annoying PR people before, but I just got a phone call at 3.30pm on a Friday from one of them.
The conversation went something like this:

"Hi, can I speak to someone from editorial?"
"Speaking..."
"Oh hi, it's Sarah from PPR, I'm just chasing up a press release we sent you a few weeks ago about Christmas and I just wanted to see if you needed any more info at all?"
"Well, our editor sorts through the work emails so she would have seen it. I'm sure if she needed any more info she would have contacted you."
"Okay, thanks, bye!"

Seriously.
What PR person out there actually thinks if a press release arrived in a journo's mailbox and they needed more info they wouldn't call??
What are we going to do, just sit here and hope the pr company follows it up?
"Gee, I'd really like to get in touch with that person. Guess I'll just wait around for the PR person to call me."

Oh, and how's that for a clarification - a press release about Christmas.
I'm guessing roughly two-thirds of the releases that are coming in the mailbox now have something to do with Christmas. Not really narrowing it down very much, are we?

6 comments:

shiny said...

Not to mention "a few weeks ago". I need to have an automatic reply that explains anything older than two weeks - deleted.

Jessica said...

I'll admit when PR people called to follow up about a press release they had a somwehat better chance of me actually doing something about it. That is, if they could make me care or bring about some of my latent Catholic guilt.
If I call on a release I send it's usually BEFORE I send it, to say, "Hi, I wanted to let you know about a release I'm about to send you..." if it's a kind of story I think that particular reporter would enjoy or be good at.

Dave said...

You should come and work over here in PR haha

Anonymous said...

The story of my LIFE. Cease and desist. Please. Please.

L x

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Dave said...

Actually, I disagree. But thanks for your comment, crescenet.