Wednesday 12 December 2007

It's all the wrong way around

This is what Christmas should look like.

I took these pictures on my trip to Japan, which was almost exactly this time of year last year.

I saw snow for the first time, and I had a White Christmas. It was magical.

As the year draws to a close I find myself dreaming about Japan - and in particular the snow - once again.




I've decided that, after a lifetime of living in Australia, living in the southern hemisphere, that we've got it all wrong down here.

The movies are right - it is meant to snow at Christmas.

It's meant to be cold, you're meant to be able to go skiing on Christmas morning, you're meant to see the pure white covering over everything as you wake up in the morning.
Don't get me wrong, I love Australia and I know I'm living in one of the luckiest, most prosperous countries in the world... but wouldn't it be nice to have a white Christmas down here every now and then? :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you johnsey. Christmas doesn't seem real without cold weather & snow. We had so much of it growing up in the UK. It's a novelty for me going to the beach on Christmas day and having a paddle in the ocean.

Take some time off, go follow your dreams in Japan
:-P

Jessica said...

A white Christmas isn't as good as old Bing Crosby made it out to be. A white Christmas means the roads will suck ass. It means that getting over the river and through the woods to grandmother's house you go might take 3 hours instead of 1. It means you might find your car ass end up in a ditch after sliding on the ice. It It means your car, which usually is a shiny black, looks gray from all the salt they put on the roads to make it melt so we don't end up ass end up in the ditch.
See, you're not the only one a bit disenchanted with the place you call home...

Dave said...

haha yes I'm well aware the grass is always greener...
And Will, I just may.

shiny said...

Would you really have time to go skiing at Christmas anyway?

I don't think it really matters where you are.

I do think being away for Christmas is hard though - with someone else's family (or your own extended family in another country), trying to remember the name of the hostess, trying to figure out what the hell it is with sweet potato and marshmallows being served with turkey (it's a Texas thing). Figuring out which white meat is turkey and which white meat is pork (ick).

I like spending Christmas at home, where ever that might be. And there's something about spending Christmas day by the pool that really does it for me. And a barbecue on boxing day with friends.

Dave said...

Yes, I agree. However I stayed in a ski resort last christmas and went skiing three times during the day. it was soooo nice. *sigh*