Sunday 23 December 2007

I need a pear tree for that partridge. Stat!

It hit me today as I was walking through town.
It's Christmas time!
The carols, the decorations, the days off work.
I love it!!
For me, Christmas has changed a bit in the last 5 or 6 years.
Before moving out of home Christmas was always a family affair.
I used to obediently hand myself over to my parents in preparation for the family festivities - sweeping the patio, cleaning the barbecue, setting the table.
Once that was done I would endure a long hard day's worth of Dealing with Relatives 101.

These days, things are a little different. Since moving out of home I've discovered that Christmas is also a great time to catch up with friends. Everyone has their own family functions to attend, but the fact that there are a couple of public holidays means you can usually squeeze in a get-together with friends.

It also is a time for me to reflect on how lucky I am.
I try to do this as often as possible, regardless of the time of year.

I've got two wonderful parents who are, amazingly, still deeply in love after almost 30 years of marriage. That in itself is enough to make me realise how lucky I am. I've got a younger brother and sister who have both grown up to be fine young adults. I've got an extended family who, although they can be trying at times, are there for me if I need them. I have a wonderful group of friends and a fantastic young lady by the name of Bertie with whom I have copious amounts of fun.

But most of all, I live in Perth. I am lucky enough to not only live in a country in which I am free to do what I want and believe in what I want to believe - but I also have the means by which to do so.

Christmas is a time to reflect on all the good in your life.
Right now, I have a roof over my head, a car to get me places, clothes on my back, food in my fridge and a shitload of wonderful people in my life.

Merry Christmas to everyone who reads this and remember - no matter how bad you think you've got it, there actually is always someone worse off.

5 comments:

Dave said...

Good on ya Dave. Nice words about your parents, family and friends.
That's what Christmas is about. - Dave.

Jessica said...

Merry Christmas Dave!
It's so nice to hear someone talking about what is so great about Christmas rather than complaining about the holiday! I love this time of year!
Happy New Year, too. :)

Dave said...

Thanks guys, same to you both!

Lindsay said...

You should come here Johnsy - santa lives here. I actually got to say "merry xmas" to every shopkeeper (who was dressed as an elf) and meant it. And they said it back - and meant it! It's quite magical here. Except the M&S foodhall, which is WAR. xx

Dave said...

I'll be there tomorrow. Pick me up from the airport?