Monday 10 December 2007

An open letter to those nasty little cancer sticks

Dear Cigarettes,

We've known each other for quite some time. I first met you in a local pool around the age of 16. You tasted gross, I felt cool.
When I moved out of home I realised that I was old enough to smoke you without getting into trouble.
Since then, our relationship has been fairly involved. I've smoked heaps of you - from first thing in the morning with my cup of coffee, to 3am at the tail end of a huge night with close friends.

I've cursed you for making me cough like a 70-year-old woman.
I've loved you for being there with me on an evening when the weather is warm, the sun is setting and I am loving life.
I've hated you for how expensive you are.
I've loved you for helping me bond with other people who were also addicted to you.
I've hated you for making my breath and fingers smell, for turning me into an addict and for damaging my health.

So, as much fun as we've had, it's time to say goodbye.
God knows it's been fun - we've had a ball.
But now I'm too old for you. I enjoy life too much for it to be cruelly snatched away. For once, I am listening to all the pleas of those high-profile smokers who, after being diagnosed with a terminal illness, say they wish they had quit when they were younger.
I owe it to the people who love me, and I owe it to myself.

Goodbye Cigarettes.
You and I are over.
Don't ever call me again.

Sincerely,
David Johns.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

YAYYYYY!!! Well done, Dave :D

Dave said...

Thanks Bri. I'm feeling particularly determined. Fingers crossed.

shiny said...

Yay! Go Dave. If I did it you can too. I vote non smokers meet in the rec room for a game of airhockey when all the stinkers (ahem) I mean smokers bugger off outside.

my name is kate said...

Go Johnsy - you know what's waiting at the end for you for every week you can kick it...

Jessica said...

Now that you've blogged about this there's no going back. Well done!

I used to work with a sports writer who was so addicted he had to smell his fingers when he was writing, he needed the smell of his cigarettes in between breaks. Hells bells, if he can quit anyone can!

Dave said...

Jesus, that makes me feel better Jess!
And thankd Observer - I think air hockey sounds like a tops idea.
And Kate - as if I would have forgotten a promise like that...

Dave said...

Well done from me too Dave. I gave up after a doctor ordered me to when my lungs deteriorated and would have got worse. I feel good now and have more money. Jill my wife did too. Now you have made a promise to the people of the world I know you will stick to it! - Dave.

Anonymous said...

Good For You. I Have Never Smoked In My Life. Because I Knew From A Young Age Of How Bad They Are To Your Health. Keep It Up.