Monday 11 February 2008

There's gremlins in the system

I'm not quite sure what happened on the below post, but it seems to have gone for a holiday somewhere.
I'm sure I'll receive little postcards from the blog when he manages to find a gift shop in whatever part of cyberspace he's visiting at the time.
Can you tell it's Monday?

So I had a smashing weekend starting with a fully-work-funded Christmas lunch on Friday and followed by a housewarming at young Kate's house (okay, so I may have started filming when it got to the singing drunken songs part of the night - I know it's a bad habit and I should get out of it but sometimes those scenes are just too good to be true).

But I balanced it out with some good ole-fashioned relaxation on Saturday and Sunday which was lurvely.

Okay I'm gonna cut the crap - here's what I really want to talk about: job hunting.
I'm thinking of dipping my toes into the deep end of the pool (the dark side - PR) to see what the temperature's like. I saw a fantastic opportunity the other day and part of me wonders whether I might even like it better over that side - I mean, it'd be just like my current job but without having to be constrained by minute details such as facts and truth.

I know I could always go back to journalism if I didn't like it - and perhaps I should get a little more experience over this side of the fence - but it's food for thought.
Anyway watch this space - if anything happens you'll be the first to know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Facts? Truth? What are these strange concepts you speak of?

I'd strongly advise against taking up any PR position within the slow moving beast that is LG...unless you actually want to lose several IQ points a day.

Jessica said...

Ok this is my area. So give me a minute.
DO IT!!!
When I was a reporter I was always told PR was the dark side. The place with corrupt morals, where facts don't matter.
It isn't. Maybe it's different because I work for a non-profit, but I feel better about the work I do now than I did when I was a journalist. Choose to do this for something you truly care about. I enjoy sharing news about people who don't normally get celebration, I enjoy telling people about the amazing immigrants in our program-people who don't otherwise get press.
I felt more dirty in the sea of souless ad reps than I do in PR.
And hey, there always is freelance, right?

Dave said...

Hmm, good food for thought thanks Jess. And Ros - it's okay, local government was not even registering on the radar...