Wednesday 20 February 2008

Falling in love with Paris is like remembering an emotion that you never had...

I've never been to Paris, but after watching Paris, Je t'aime last night, I love the place already.

It's funny how you go through periods when you watch a few Hollywood movies in a row and then you go back to a foreign/independent film and realise exactly what you've been missing out on.

This film, part of the official selection for both the Toronto and Cannes Film Festivals, is a collection of short films, all filmed in Paris and revolving around different aspects of love.
From the love a mother has for her young baby, to an older couple meeting to finalise a divorce, to a pair of mimes that meet in a jail cell one night, to a single American tourist who falls in love with Paris itself, this film is absolutely magical.

And to top it all off, each short film is directed by a different esteemed director - from Gus Van Sant, the Cohen Brothers and Wes Craven to Gerard Depardieau.
There is also a massive range of actors from Steve Buscemi and Natalie Portman to Elijah Wood, Nick Nolte and Bob Hoskins.

Some of the stories are funny, some are sad, some are just downright weird, but all in all it is an absolutely brilliant collection.

See it.

4 comments:

Dave said...

Good review Dave. Wish I could see them. - Dave

Dave said...

Surely you can - it's on DVD...

Lucy Stern said...

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out. My daughter is going to Italy on her spring break. She has frequent flyer miles that she can use and she will be staying in Hostels to save money. She has her travel book and is planning on seeing everything she can get in a 10 day period. I wish I could have done that when I was young.

Dave said...

I know, my younger borther is doing the same thing but in London. Thanks for dropping by Lucy.