Tuesday 12 February 2008

Call me what you will...

But I love Valentine's Day. Sorry Kate, sorry Lindsay, but I think Rachel's hit the nail on the head here.
I worked in a restaurant for six years. During this time, every year, Valentine's Day was the busiest day of the year.
It was the one day when we crammed the restaurant full of tables of two in preparation for a massive night.
But do you know what? I didn't mind working on Valentine's Day. I didn't mind the fact that I had to squeeze past the tiny gaps between the tables and run around like a goose because that on night a year was a little different from all the others.

(I can hear the spewing sounds already, but here goes...)

This one night a year, the atmosphere was different because I was surrounded by the filthy, dirty four-letter word - love.

I was surrounded by couples for whom the most important thing in the world at that point in time was the person sitting opposite them.

Sure, there are always going to be upsets and things not going according to plan but you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men.

Kate, Lindsay, you can all rail against the consumerism of Valentine's Day as much as you like. But in doing so, and boycotting the day, that's when materialism and consumerism win.

Valentine's Day is a personal thing - those couples who choose to stay at home and watch science-fiction or play RPG-style video games may find that just as romantic as sitting on the 33rd floor of C Restaurant in Perth and gazing out over the city lights.

6 comments:

my name is kate said...

I know I’ve got tomato soup flowing in my veins, not blood at all, but… eh. It’s nice to see some optimism and slushiness about the place – ‘tis just not to my taste. Looks like I’ll be living alone with 12 cats in a haunted mansion by the age of 30 after all…

Dave said...

I like cats.

Anonymous said...

I get your point and being the incurable romantic I am, I'd love you to be right. Maybe your are. And I suppose some people like teddy bears clutching hearts. But it seems there not enough actual romance the rest of the year. Just the hollow prescriptive kind on feb 14.

I too, shall die alone, clutching shopping bags, covered in cat fur and smelling of wee.

shiny said...

I would clutch a teddy bear too if the only thing I had to look forward to was C Restaurant. Jeez, Johnsy, at least I went for something that didn't involve money and crap food! Heh heh, just kidding. Happy St Valentine's day to you and all the naysayers too.

I demand you all post comments to my recent book review, mostly because I think I was especially brave to quote passages about penises :)

Jessica said...

It's simple, Valentine's Day is vile when single. I have a whole new outlook on it this year. I'm surprising myself, how much I like it now. I hope yours is great.

Dave said...

C Restaurant was purely an example. It is very nice up there. And you're right Lindsay, there isn't enough of it the rest of the year round :)