Tuesday 25 September 2007

Good call

Hearing news of the Iranian President's visit to the US, I was fascinated and slightly concerned to discover he'd been given a voice at Columbia University to speak to an audience.
What concerned me more however, was what came out of his mouth.
Apart from saying more research needed to be done on the Holocaust to find out who was to blame and why the Palestinian people are now paying for it, he claimed that homosexuality was not present in Iran.
Riiight...
He said: "In Iran we do not have this phenomenon."
Phenomenon??

But the call of the day has to go to the university President Lee Bollinger, who introduced the Iranian leader at his appearance.
He called him a "petty and cruel dictator" and said his Holocaust denials suggested he was either "brazenly provocative or astonishingly uneducated."
"I feel the weight of the modern civilized world yearning to express the revulsion at what you stand for," Mr Bollinger said.

How's that for free speech...?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

When I first heard he was getting a platform, I was torn. On the one side the journalist in me is a proponet of free speech. On the other side, what he believes makes me ill. I can't fathom someone who doesn't believe the holocaust happened or could consider homosexuality a "phenomenon."

Dave said...

Niether can I - the man is clearly deluded. It's a bit of a sad state of affairs...