Tuesday 18 September 2007

Elbow Wars and Airport Goodbyes

As I have mentioned before, like Lindsay, I love airports.
I particularly enjoy the depth of emotion - be it happy or sad - that people show in their final goodbyes or warm welcomes.
I was boarding the flight back home and saw an elderly couple being waved off by a middle-aged couple.
The two men were obviously father and son. The women, teary-eyed, waved at each other as the elderly couple walked down the passageway.
Just as they were about to walk out of side, the old man turned around and gave a thumbs-up sign to his son.
It struck me as such an emotion-filled goodbye. The elderly couple were old enough for me to assume that there wouldn't be too many more trips to and from Perth and Melbourne.
Anyway, I digress. The old man ended up sitting next to me on the flight and insisted on taking up both armrests with his full arms, denying me a resting place for my elbow.
I didn't feel sorry for him anymore.
I was planning on sleeping but, without any room to move, wasn't sure it would happen.
So, in a calculated move, I waited until the man reached into his pocket for the safety instructions and quickly stole the arm rest, followed by a fake sleep that actually turned into a real one.
I won the elbow war that time.

Anyways, my holiday was absolutely fantastic.
I had a ball and basically went on an 11-day trip which involved much fine dining and wining, catching up with some very dear friends who had moved over east (ex-housemates, former work colleagues and the like) and some fantastic shopping in Sydney.
But, as is the case with all holidays, I was glad when it ended. There's something about going home, about surrounding yourself with things, places and people that are familiar to you, that can be comforting after spending time in foreign cities.
I have a raft of stories that I won't bore you with now, but suffice to say we holidayed (ahem, intentional grammar alert) in style.
And even though I would be pushed to find someone who reads this blog that would care, the Nine Inch Nails concert could not have been better.
They blew me away.
Now I'm off to enjoy my last two days before I hit the decks at Rockingham again.
Yay!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Slick move on the elbow rest!
But isn't that what makes the movie Love Actually so great, the airport scenes. Makes me cry like a sap every frickin' time.

Dave said...

Couldn't agree more.