Thursday 24 January 2008

Get me a beer, a barbie and 100 good songs...

As one of my favourite long weekends of the year approaches, the Australia Day holiday, I am often filled with an overwhelming sense of pride and loyalty.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those people who drapes themselves in the Australian flag and runs around drunkenly on the foreshore waiting all day for a 20 minute fireworks display. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

No, my sense of pride actually has nothing to do with the fact that it's Australia Day.

It all boils down to the fact that it's the day in which our national youth radio station, Triple J, broadcast the Hottest 100.
In what has become an Aussie insitution, the radio station counts down the top 100 songs of the year - and the top 100 songs played on Triple J are always going to be quality.

In a world where we are fed musical tripe in the form of monotone R 'n' B (thanks 50 Cent - but I just thought I'd point out there's very little rhythm and not a hell of a lot of blues in the crap you create) it is refreshing to still have a national broadcaster with standards.

A national broadcaster that provides people with a huge range, from metal, to hip-hop, to drum and bass, to the downright bizarre (yes, I'm talking to you, Architecture in Helsinki).

A national broadcaster that provides a bond between like-minded music-loving people across the country. I, for one, often describe myself as a "Triple J listener" when people ask me what sort of music I like.

To me, Australia Day means a healthy combination of sun, beer, barbecue and the Hottest 100.
I can't wait :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Triple J...

Yeah....

About that....

Wierd junkie music with a twist of underlying bogan trash....

Dave said...

Yeah, you're right Lundie, Triple J isn't for everyone, only people with taste.

my name is kate said...

Agreed Davo - I associate Aus Day with listening to triple j every year and, later, bitching over the top 10-20 choices. I still remember the horror of the year that was Pretty Fly for a White Guy.

Dave said...

As far as I'm concerned that song was never invented.

Dave said...

Oh, and Lundie - you spelt weird wrong.

Anonymous said...

Dave,

If do apoligize for a slight typing mistake. I will take extra effort in making sure that all is correct for you.

Kindest Regards,

Cunt

Dave said...

Apologise is spelt with an 's'. Are you an ad rep or something? ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am an advertising rep. Therefore, my strong point is my maths and my communication skills. Do you want to fight about it?


Not really though, I will lose so badly.

shiny said...

Would you believe there's no pub in Margs playing the damn countdown?

I mean isn't it the only bearable station in the country? Instead they're getting in live bands? Stuff live, I voted! I want to hear my choices win!

I may have to just keep myself content with beer, Johnsy. And I think you know how I feel about that.

Dave said...

You poor thing. My thoughts will be with you.

Anonymous said...

who will be number one this year?
-"I'll kill her" by Soco has to be in the top ten.

Jessica said...

Dang I miss summertime. How does -10 farenheit sound to you???