Monday 19 November 2007

What next? Rudd's the bogeyman?

According to today's West, John Howard is hell-bent on striking fear into the hearts of voters.
You see, according to Johnny, WA's extraordinary mining boom, which has seen record amounts of money come in and out of the State, will end under a Labor Government because Rudd will wind back Howard's unfair indutrial relations legislation.
I almost got pissed off at this, until I read Shane Wright's analysis of the story.
My favourite bit was this:

"A collapse in the global economy would end the mining boom. An outbreak of democracy in China or a revolt by the lower classes of India could do the same.
But Kevin Rudd and even a busload of the most militant union bosses in the world would struggle to end the boom that has propelled the WA and national economies for nearly four years."

Quite.

3 comments:

shiny said...

But do you think the boom will continue to drive the property market or has that done its dash? I'm worried the steam will fall out of it, either because it's a bubble or because interest rates will have to keep going up because people are spending too much. Then I'll look around and my flat will be worth nothing. Particularly with the darlings living next door.

Hee hee "outbreak of democracy". I hear you can get a cream for that now.

Dave said...

I think the property boom and the resources boom are not necessarily intertwined. However one does help the other etc etc.
Remember at the end of the day, we still have the highest real estate prices in the country right now. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I don't know.

my name is kate said...

Four. More. Sleeps.