Wednesday 21 November 2007

Another Election Rant or Preaching to the Converted Part II

Can you feel that?
It's getting close.
It's an election.
Not only that, but it's an election that doesn't necessarily have a predetermined positive outcome for John Howard.

No politician has made me feel embarrassed for being Australian like John Howard has.
I was distraught after the 2001 election. I was even more distraught in 2004 - though we never really had a chance of winning that one, did we?

Now, I'm just nervous.
I'm nervous that the majority of Australians will not see through the bullshit that he and his cronies spout on a daily basis.
I'm nervous that people will believe the tripe he has been sprouting about the gloom and doom for Australia if Labor gets in.

As far as I see it, there are a few possible outcomes and consequences.

Outcome 1: Howard is re-elected, the Liberal Government is back in with its majority over both houses of Parliament. Unlikely, but then anything's possible.
Consequence 1: I start seriously considering which country I am going to migrate to.

Outcome 2: Howard is re-elected, but without his majority.
Consequence 2: I will be saddened but not completely distraught. Any Government needs checks and balances. That's what the senate was designed for, and that's what they have been stopped from doing. I will still ponder leaving the country.

Outcome 3: Rudd wins control of house of reps but does not have balance of power in the Senate.
Consequence 3: Australia wins. I will be proud to be Australian again. It will have been a long time coming, but I'll be there.

Outcome 4: Rudd wins with control of both houses.
Consequence 4: I will do a little dance for joy. Sure, no Government should have control of both houses but when it's a party interested in the good of the people, for the people, it's better than the alternative. Oh, and the victory will be sweet. So sweet.

I want to see that smug smile on Downer, Costello and Howard's collective faces wiped off comprehensively. They all deserve it.
I want to see justice served. I want karma to take a front seat again. Swings and roundabouts etc etc.

Is all that too much to ask?

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I think when it comes to elections, to politics, it works better to not preach to the choir, but instead to preach to the people standing outside the church wondering if they want to come inside.

Good luck.

Dave said...

Sound advice Jessica.

But I wonder, Dave, which country you would emmigrate to? If NZ, our politians aren't much better. In fact, are any? A politician, by nature, can never be trusted, whatever their party colours. - Dave