Tuesday 13 November 2007

How can you not love a place that looks like this?


Lately, I've been a bit Japan-sick.
It's strange, because it's kind of like being home sick, save for the fairly obvious fact that I have only spent 2 and a half weeks of my life in Japan.
I think some of it may have to do with the fact that it was my first overseas trip - the first time I'd ventured outside our borders with a passport - but I really, really loved the place.
It's magical.
It manages to get this balance between everything the Western, corporate, capitalist world holds dear without compromising the Japanese traditions that are thousands of years old.
The weather was brisk and cool yet perfect, we didn't need to know a word of Japanese other than 'thank you' and 'excuse me' and we just had the most amazing time.
Part of me wants to move to Japan - I guess it's the allure of being in a totally foreign country, yet one which is completely accessible to almost everybody.
But part of me thinks I would be pretty lonely there.
Indeed, after only two and a half weeks I was craving a hearty Western meal and some English-speaking friends.
Maybe one day.

4 comments:

shiny said...

But if you lived there you'd know where to go to find a western meal and English speaking friends.
I want to move to Saigon and I only spend two days there. But I'm completely insane. Don't do what I do.

Anonymous said...

In relevance to this post I can only think of one statement from a very wise man.

"Look it Jackie Chan
Look it Jackie Chan
You put on weight Jackie Chan"
-Peter Griffin

Dave said...

Thanks Lundie. Good to see I'm not the only one Observer.

my name is kate said...

I have London sickness too - but at least the western meal thing isn't an issue. Perhaps you can move to Japan, I'll move to London and we can call each other at weird times to talk about how Perth sick we are and how we've made a huge mistake.