Monday 9 June 2008

Sucker for punishment

Roughly a year ago, I blogged about a good friend of mine who had just broken up with his girlfriend for the fifth or sixth time over the course of - wait for it - one year.

Since then, he's been on again and off again with her a few times, most recently off again.
I know this isn't a nice thing to say, but she's a horrible person, and his attempts to patch up the relationship really aren't worth it.
Particularly when the reason they break up all the time is because she won't tell him if she's pissed off with him, rather, she'll keep it to herself until one day when he does something trivial like puts the wrong cutlery down on the dinner table, upon which she flies off the handle.

So anyway, the long and short of it was that they've broken up again. I was on the phone to him and he was saying how he couldn't do it anymore.

Me: "You've only just realised this? How many times did you guys break up, like, eight? Didn't you think after the first two or three that perhaps it wasn't worth it?"

Him: "Actually, it was more like 30 times, at last count."

Me: "..."

30 times!!!
Now THAT is ridiculous...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess everyone is 'here' for a reason to learn our 'own' lessons.

Sometimes we learn much faster than others, perhaps becuase we have been 'here' before.

One cannot presume what is best for another- because we don't live their life of their lessons.

Thats all I have to say, I'll stop playing guru now :P

Dave said...

Thank you, yogi :)

shiny said...

Jason's right. I continually find myself in the same positions, for some reason I've continually found myself in relationships in which the other person has assumed they have some kind of authority or power over me. From friendships, to romantic involvements to work relationships. I couldn't figure out why until I found myself where I am now and realised, maybe I needed to learn when to stand up for myself and when to show humility.

Oprah moment over.