Saturday 7 June 2008

Sex and the City - A Guy's Take

I saw the SATC movie the other night. If you haven't seen it, don't worry, I promise this blog contains no spoilers.

About four years ago I fell in love with four New York girls by the names of Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte.
The show was groundbreaking - we were seeing female lead characters who were fiercely independent, hot and funny, yet at the same time they all had a human side and were not machines.

I loved it. One by one, I hired or bought each season and watched the entire series through.

There's been a lot of debate about the movie. A review in the West said that while it was good, it failed to live up to it's naughty, sharp reputation.
Bollocks.
It was great. Yeah, it might not have been as provocative as the first episode, but that wasn't why I was there.
I went to see the movie to see the characters one last time. To see where they had been, what they had been doing and to finally find out what happened to them in the end.

The film was all this and more.
Go see it - it's worth the 2 and a half hours just to see all the loose ends tied up.

4 comments:

shiny said...

Haven't seen movie yet, but I find myself loving the show for the same reason I love MASH (yes, I'm going somewhere here). There's a whole lot of humour but the way it's interwoven with honest emotion fills it with charm. Do you think they ever thought of finding a bit part for Alan Alda in the series?

Seriously though, you feel friendly with the characters instead of wondering what kind of freelance writer can afford Prada. Not to mention those shoes. Honestly, if Carrie wasn't selling drugs on the side I'll eat my Chinese Laundry stilletos (No Manolos for this young writer.)

Steve said...

I've 'been told' I am doing the Sex and the City movie later this week.
Not impressed.

Dave said...

Brownie points Steve. At least look at it that way.

Jessica said...

I wasn't a big watcher of the show but I did like the movie. I liked it a lot! But, ummm.... "Give Miranda a razor!!!"