Friday 20 June 2008

A little faith has been restored

Last night I had the privilege of seeing Powderfinger play at Metro City (perks of the job - I had to write a review for the paper).

They were brilliant, but that's not what I wanted to talk about.
While I was standing there watching the band, a young man who appeared to be quadraplegic moved alongside us in his wheelchair with a friend of his walking nearby.
While trying not to stare, I could not help but be moved by the unconditional love shown to him by his able-bodied friend.
Firstly, he ensured his wheelchair-bound mate had a good position, clearing people out of the way who were lingering in his line of sight.
Then he made sure he was most comfortable.
He removed the braces from around his legs, gently removed the windpipe from his mouth and then pulled his mate's glasses out of his pocket, wiping the lenses clean before placing them on his nose.

I was almost overwhelmed by the love and care this guy showed for his mate. I could not even begin to imagine what it would be like being disabled to the extent this young man was. And yet, nothing seemed too hard for his friend.
I started wondering whether I'd be capable of giving that level of care to someone close to me. I hope I never have to find out, but I would like to think maybe I would.

About 15 years ago my cousin in Queensland was involved in a car accident. A guy who had no license and was too stoned to be driving crashed into the back of her car, sending her into a coma for three months.
When she woke, while her mind was as sharp as ever, she literally had to learn how to walk, talk, write and use basic motor skills all over again.
Her husband at the time left not long after she woke up. He was roundly criticised by family members and written off, but still to this day I find it hard to blame him. Can you imagine the situation he was in? Can you imagine how terrible he would have felt pulling the pin?

There's not really a point to any of this rambling other than to say that seeing this young man last night gave me a little more faith in humanity.
And I love it when that happens.

7 comments:

shiny said...

Great post.

And I have nothing.

Dave said...

Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

You're still a beautiful person Dave.

Anonymous said...

Nice post, very touching.

It's reassuring when you see kindness among fellow humans, perhaps there is some hope for us after all...

Steve said...

Top post Dave, you are showing us all your a genuine guy. Who wouldn't be moved by that.

Anonymous said...

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

Hebrews 13:2

I know, I'm not the bible-bashing type, but the old testament has something on occasion.

Dave said...

Nice comments Dave. I like your thoughts on this subject. - Dave