Wednesday 4 June 2008

Did you hear the one about the $10,000 cash the guy found on his front lawn?

He handed it in to the police.

Seriously.

There's been a story in the news in the last couple of days about a family in a Perth suburb who noticed a brown paper bag on their front lawn.
After not doing anything about it for the first couple of days, thinking it was rubbish, the son eventually went out to clear it off the front lawn and found $10,000 worth of hundred-dollar bills inside it.

So he handed it in to the police.

Now, my first reaction was that I would do no such thing, but it would appear that their honesty might just pay off - if no one claims it within 60 days it is given back to them.
And let's be honest, whoever's brown paper bag it was, they'd have to have a pretty damn good excuse to actually get it back off the cops without themselves being investigated.
On the news this morning a police officer said there had already been two failed attempts by members of the public to claim the money.
Hilarious.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

why yes...i dropped that the other day whilst walking the dog...

Dave said...

serious?? me too!

my name is kate said...

Hey I'm such a nerd I'd return it too. I once returned an extra piece of chocolate cake to the school tuck shop because they'd put it in my bag by mistake. Jesus I'm lame.

shiny said...

I was once at a pub where a friend worked and when a waiter came out to deliver the beer we "ordered" I sent it back because we didn't order one.

Dave said...

yeah, yeah, cake and beer is all good but ten thousand dollars??
or am i just inherently evil?

Anonymous said...

In all honesty i would hand the money into the cops after numerous internal conflicts of which 'incuring good karama' would arise [hopefully] out of it. and you know, your chances are pretty high cuz like David said, whoever claims it would need to have a pretty bloody good excuse for leaving $10k (probably in $100 demoniations) on some randoms front lawn. Good Karama for all!

Dave said...

I'd be interested to learn the outcome. If you find out would you do another blog about it? - Dave

shiny said...

Yeah, no one will come forward for it. But I thought there was a longer time period before it goes to the finder/keeper to offer all opportunity to the loser/weeper. I thought it was 6 months or something. Shows what I know.