Wednesday 7 January 2009

Tales from the north side

On Christmas Day, we had a few friends around for drinks.
My housemate Cookie, who currently works in the mines but has done pretty much everything - from rigging, to deep sea diving, to working on a fishing trawler - invited one of his mates from Karratha down.
Frosty was a fishing trawler captain and he proceeded to tell me one of the cooler stories I have ever heard in my life.

He was working on a trawler off Exmouth and had been out for three days of a four day fishing expedition. Frosty explained that guys (and girls) who work on fishing trawlers don't get paid a salary, they get paid a commission depending on how much fish they catch. He said two tonnes was a good catch in general terms. Anyway, they were on the second last day of their trip and they only had 100kgs so far.

Frosty had tried everything - he had gone to every secret fishing spot he had ever known, tried every old fisherman's trick in the book but still, there were no fish anywhere.
He studies the maps for hours, still coming up with nothing. Then, he looks up out the window and sees a rainbow on the horizon. So, on a whim, he programs where he calculates the end of the rainbow to be and sets course for it, thinking he's got nothing to lose.

Of course, his crewmates thought he'd gone mad, and proceeded to wind him up with jeers of "chasing the rainbow, are we Frosty?" all the way there.
When they were about three quarters of the way to the spot Frosty had estimated, he almost turned back. But he pushed on, because he had nothing to lose.

When he gets to the spot that he had put into the computer, a massive triangle of fish appears on the radar - right at the spot where he calculated the rainbow ended. He ended up filling the boat with high quality fish. But that's not the clincher - the bit that makes this story so awesome is the type of fish he found at the end of the rainbow - gold band snapper. They could have been any species of fish in the world, and they were gold band snapper.

I asked him what the moral of the story was. He told me there was a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow - you just had to look hard for it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool story. Imagine making a living from something so unpredictable. I'm sure they know where all the fish hang out at what time of year etc, but I'd be so very nervous.

Dave said...

I know, I had no idea before I was told that they weren't paid salaries. I'm told that when they do get a good catch it is a pretty good payload but...

my name is kate said...

Oh Dave, I do love you but you're an awful sap hehe

Dave said...

A likely story....? Good one though. - Dave

Dave said...

hehe thanks kato :)