Saturday 24 January 2009

Rachel Getting Married

Rachel Getting Married is the latest movie directed by Jonathon Demme, whose resume includes a couple of small pics like Silence of the Lambs and Philadelphia.

Starring Anne Hathaway, from more dubious movies such as The Princess Diaries and Bride Wars, this flick is a close up look at addiction, recovery and dysfunctional families.

I saw this movie this morning and I have to say, it was really good. It's done with a hand held camera, which I always find takes up to an hour to get used to but is ultimately rewarding in the end.
Let me just say from the outset - Hathaway is brilliant as Kim, a drug addict who has been in and out of prison and rehab for the last ten years, and returns home for her sister's wedding.
Without going too much into the plot, the movie is a great study on how addictions can affect a family unit.
If you get the chance, and you like a movie that makes you think, see it.

3 comments:

Steve said...

I read the headline of this blog and my heart skipped a beat - Rahael getting married, our Rachael :-), then I realised what you were referring too... Haven't heard of or seen the movie but now intend on doing so.

Dave said...

haha no i can assure you that is not the case...

Anonymous said...

I kind of love Anne Hathaway and constantly despair at the roles she plays. It'd be good to see her in a role with less airbrushing and more reality.

I might even take my friend Rachel along for shits and giggles.