Saturday 13 September 2008

Music news

There's a couple of new albums that I'm incrediby excited about at the moment.

The first is End of Fashion's new one - it hasn't been released yet, but a well-connected sales rep at work managed to procure a copy of the album and gave me a listen.

And I have to say, it sounds brilliant. I was a big fan of their last effort, and this one seems to take it up a notch for the Perth band. Think the Killers' second album in comparison to their first.

There's one song on there in particular that, when it's released, could elevate End of Fashion into or close to the realm of Silverchair and Powderfinger.
But don't take my word for it - grab a copy of the album when it comes out.

The second album I'm thrilled about is - at the risk of switching off some of my regular readers - the new Metallica album.

Hear me out.

It came out today and I grabbed a copy of it this morning. It is SO good I'm having trouble putting it into words. It's epic, fast furious, metal a la Metallica in the 80s.

This album is by far their best release in the last 20 years. If you are at all a fan of early Metallica, you must get this album. From the screaming guitar solos to the softer ballad-style songs and the hate-filled lyrics, no Metallica fan will be disappointed. The shortest song on it is seven minutes and some go to more than 10 minutes long.

Roling Stone gave the album four stars and the reviewer likened it to the musical equivalent of Russia invading Georgia: "a sudden act of aggression from a sleeping giant."
Not bad for a bunch of sober, balding guys in their 40s.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Like your enthusiasm Dave. - Dave

Dave said...

Hi again Dave. Have a look at Batman on my site today...? - Dave